Websites and blogs on WordPress.com have many things going for them (see Free DIY web
and Professional Web
), but they have some limitations due to their “no-code” nature.
Sometimes you want to have more graphical elements or different ones.
You want better controls on:
- The position and behaviour of tiles.
- The behaviour of entry forms.
- The size, aspect and content of google maps.
- The look and feel of image galleries and slideshows.
- The look and feel of calendars, lists and more.
To make a comparison, your site is a neat shop in a clean mall, but now you want floorboards instead of carpet, shiny vinyl walls instead of paint on concrete, warm down lights instead on neon tubes…
What do you need?
- Three hours of quality time for a planning meeting.
- Less than 2,000 dollars to build it.
- Less than 500 per annum to run it.
- Two hours of quality time for a training meeting.
- About two weeks lead time from go to wow.
How does that happen?
- We have a free consultation and you tell me about your business.
To arrive here, you decided that this type of website is right for you.
- We have a planning meeting
We choose a theme and the customisations you need.
We build a list of these things.
We split the work, the tech bits for me, the business bits for you.
- Then we go our own ways for a few days for an implementation phase during which,
- I will organise the technical bits
I will also prime the website.
- You will collect the initial content
Mostly text, images and information bits.
- We have a launch and training meeting
Then you will need another two hours with me for launch and training meeting.
At that time, we will update your website together.
What do you get?
You will have a website that represents you well
But more importantly you will also feel really good about,
- A great sense of control over it.
- Your understanding what is in it
- Your understanding of why it is this way
- Your ability to modify its content.
- The fact that you can ask for help if need be.
It can be used for all sorts of tasks and can fulfil many “in-page” web objectives.
But some people like the idea of doing it themselves, so if your business leaves you enough time for it, you can give it a go if you want.
You also gain the ability to sell a limited number of items or accept donations with PayPal buttons. This is a simple and inexpensive way to get started.
Your customers do not have to be PayPal customers, they can pay with a regular Visa or MasterCard card like mine or yours. In fact, what matters here is that YOU get a PayPal account so that monies land on your bank account.
If you do not have a PayPal account, you can create one now on the PayPal website or we can help you set one up.
Paypal has many capabilities.
You may find later that you want a shopping cart to allow your customers to place an order with more than one item. That can be added if you need to..
If your catalogue grows beyond thirty products or has frequent changes, you will find that managing buttons becomes an overhead and you want something more flexible to manage your catalogue. In this case, Advanced Web will allow you to have better control over your products.If your catalogue has more than a hundred products, you probably need an eCommerce solution and we can help you setup a Magento website.
As you maintain your site, you may at times feel you want more presentation tricks.
Or you see something really neat in another website and you would like to have the same.
You may then call to see if we already have something similar.
We may already have one, or we can make one for you.
Or you may want to upgrade to Advanced Web
to add really powerful in-flight navigation and reactive components…